End of week 1

I have been on the phone for the last two hours, first with my family and then two of my friends. I love my family, everyone knows that, we are so close and they make my day whenever we talk. We talked and talked about all manner of things, serious and trivial and my heart was once again in the right place. My 'friends' were also amazing company. I forget how lovely it is to have a conversation with a fellow Motswana, and just reassure each other that we will all be fine in the end. I think one of my 2019 goals is to talk to my friends more often, calling and talking, not about vibes, but how we are honestly doing.

Anyway, I am at the end of week one. I am happy to be back in school. So happy, I clerked about fifteen patients this past week, I have learnt so much, made (temporary) friends with the junior doctors and got grilled by the consultants. It has been a vibe! I gave into my cravings for costa coffee on the third shift, I blame being on nights haha. Gosh, I cannot wait to be a junior doctor, God really gave me the best course. I still do not know what speciality I would like to do though. It almost feels like I am passionless, but I can't help the fact that I love everything. I dread the, "So what do you wanna do?" question so much. This other junior doctor tried to sell orthopaedics to me. Gosh, bless him. I mean I find it so boring...no specialty is less medical than orthopaedics, all they do is fix bones and replace joints. I am boring myself just writing about it. However, he made good points about the materials used and physics behind it, as well as how quickly they improve the patients' quality of life being the best things about it. I don't think emergency medicine is for me either, although I appreciate that they are somewhat generalists but nah...


I am so tired, all the time. I am sleeping so poorly as well. However, I think all of these are born from anxieties about final year. I am gonna persevere, give it my all this last lap. Obviously taking care of myself and asking for help when I trip and fall (I just thought of Jehovah Montsamaise by IPCC). That is what I got out of my 'conversations with friends' (title of Sally Rooney's other book), anyway my friends gave me assurance and encouragement. I feel positive about that to some degree. On lighter issues, I am gonna start running. I just need headsets (airpods would go in), long leggings and a light jacket for the runs. I might fuck around and jog to the gym actually, won't that be an amazing 'overcoming of self'?! Hopefully when we talk next I would have went on my first run. Also, my housemate still wants to do the weekly shopping, in Tesco! The sis clearly doesn't understand the economy. Nobody does that in January please. I wanna go back to shopping in Aldi (the ghetto) but can we really afford to be snobbish? No ma'am! And I cleaned my house to the gods today, my bathroom is sparkling, I even wanna host a friend or two. One day I will talk about why I am not a big fan of hosting actually. I do wanna do a bit more hosting this year. Growth things.

So, in summary I am well. Taking it one day at a time and hoping for the best. I hope 2019 is kind to me honestly, and to you too. Love and light x

Comments

Popular Posts